Work & Study

How to legally Work & Travel in Canada with the International Experience Canada – IEC

Spread the love


This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase by clicking on my links, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you, that will help keep this website running. Thanks in advance for your support!

A little background info…

If you’re new to Why I Post, let me tell you a quick background on me, before I tell you How to Work and Travel in Canada. You can simply skip to the next section if you’re not new here.
I’m Marcelle and I started my website Why I Post so I could share all my travel-related experiences with as many people as possible so that everyone would feel more confident when applying for a visa, a citizenship process, book a trip overseas, go abroad as an international student or work overseas.
I am such a big nerd when it comes to exchange programs, visas and citizenship applications. I find it really enjoyable to search for all the rules and requirements mandatory for those applications. But I know that’s not for everyone. I understand you may not like those boring things like me. So to help you guys out, I try to simplify and summarize them on my blog.
The information I share comes from countries’ official websites and my personal experience in applying for international processes. And having traveled to 16 countries and having lived abroad a couple times, you can imagine how many application and paperwork I had to go through.

Because of my experience, I have written to other travel blogs and have even given an interview.

So I started this blog because I love everything travel related…yes, but especially on the subjects of living abroad, immigration and citizenship. I have lived abroad and I have traveled to 09 countries in Europe all in the same trip as you’ve seen on Instagram. I’ve been to 16 countries so far.
So I feel I’m a global citizen, as cheesy as it sounds. My eyes sparkle when learning, planning, listening to a story or watching a video related to those topics.

And if you don’t know, I also have an online shop. My store is all travel-themed, so no matter where you are, where you’ve been to or want to go one day, I’m sure you’ll find something cute and travel related there.

Travel-themed Mugs from Mazzocato Collection

Above are just a few of the reasons for why I enjoy blogging about travel experiences.
I’d like to show you that you can have better travel experiences and you should not hate planning your next international trip.
You can make changes to your life by traveling and it doesn’t have to be scary. I have added a Recommendations page, to help you plan your travels easy and stress-free. 

An international experience helps you to tick places off your bucket list, yes. But it’s more than that!
I see traveling as an exclusive experience, that’s all about being present, tasting, learning, trying, seeing and doing.
Going abroad is about indulging in unique local experiences: living the moment and making remarkable memories, the best ones!

I want you to have fun & create your own history while having THE time of your life abroad, truly enjoying the life you are living !

Now let’s get back to How to legally Work & Travel in Canada + FREE BONUS at the End!

If you follow me on Instagram you know how much I love Canada. In my first time in the country, I stayed in Vancouver for nearly two months. If you’d like to know more about how it was, just click here to see that post. I love Canada so much, that it was my vacation destination twice, in a row. I honestly don’t know a single person who’s been to Canada and have not liked it. I think its just impossible.

A country with great people, multicultural in every aspect, great education system, high quality of life. Really, despite the weather, I don’t see why someone wouldn’t want to spend some time in this amazing country. It does get cold in the winter, yes…I get it. But there are places with milder temperatures, even in the winter time. And there’s always something fun to do in the winter, too.

So, if you’re like me – in love with Canada. Or if you want to improve your English or even learn some French, I have a great tip on how to legally work and travel in Canada.


How to Legally Work & Travel in Canada with IEC

What is the IEC Canada?

IEC stands for International Experience Canada. IEC is a work and travel program for young citizens from over 30 countries, that allows young foreigners to work and travel while in Canada. After checking the eligibility, such as age and citizenship, you can determine if you can participate to work in Canada. Usually, if you are between 18 to 35 years old you can apply. But for some countries, the age limit is 29 or 30 years old.

If your country is not on the participating list, don’t lose your hopes. You may still be able to participate using a Recognized Organization. For that, just go to the Government of Canada website, where you can find a list of those institutions.

The International Experience Canada (IEC) has 3 pools. The system will tell which of these pools are available to you. But if you qualify, you can apply under multiple pools with the same application profile. The International Experience Canada  (IEC) pools are:

  1. International Internship (Co-op)
  2. Young Professionals
  3. Working Holiday


How’s the application process?

  • Answer a few questions on the Government of Canada website, to check your eligibility.
  • If eligible, complete an online profile.
  • Submit your profile.

To illustrate the process breakdown, here’s a poster provided by the Government of Canada.


International Experience Canada



When to apply for the IEC Canada?

Want to start working in Canada in the next 12 months? Then get your documents ready!
The pool for the 2018 season still has a few spots available. If your country of citizenship doesn’t have any spots available, you can still get prepared for next year’s season.

When will the IEC open?

The International Experience Canada (IEC) usually opens in October/November, that way you can start building your profile now so it’s ready to apply as soon as the new spots are available!

PRO TIP: check the required documents list first, and try to gather those documents before applying. Or you could also verify how long it will take you to get them – since you don’t have a lot of time to send  

What do I need for the IEC – International Experience Canada?

You must have health insurance for the entire time you are in Canada.

The health insurance of your choice must cover:

  • medical care;
  • hospitalization; and
  • repatriation.

The Government of Canada recommends that you only buy this insurance after you receive your Port of Entry (POE) letter of introduction.

You may be refused entry in Canada if you don’t have insurance!

If your insurance policy is valid for less time than your expected stay in Canada, you may be issued a work permit for your IEC stay that expires at the same time as your insurance, so double check your dates!

The number one insurance company recommended by the biggest travel bloggers around the world is the World Nomads.

Click above for a quotation and see if they have an insurance that meets your needs.

Now that you’ve seen:

  • the requirements for legally Work & Travel in Canada
  • the IEC – Internation Experience Canada process breakdown

It’s time for… the BONUS! Just sign up below and I’ll deliver it right to your inbox.

If you’re in Canada through the IEC program, let us know how’d you like it.

Are you about to apply or you’re already in the IEC process? We’d love to read your story in the comments below, too.

Good luck everybody!

This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase by clicking on my links, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you, that will help keep this website running. Thanks for your support!

Hey, if you like this post, you’ll also like...

How to work and study abroad on a budget with the ...   A little background info… If you're new to Why I Post, let me tell you a quick background on me. You can simply skip to the next section if y...
The questions I got on my IELTS – General Tr...   Hello, everyone! Today I would like to share some info about my IELTS exam. This is a good thing to know whether yours is coming up soon or e...
How to Structure an IELTS Essay Follow my blog with Bloglovin This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase by clicking on my links, I will receive a small ...


  • Claire @ October Rain

    As a Canadian, I absolutely love seeing other people from around the world express their love for Canada and their desire to visit the country. A lot of my friends that I have now are currently on or were on the Working Holiday visa, and it’s such a fantastic way to get youth into the country! A lot of them have gotten PR since arriving but it’s still a great experience for all those wanting to come to Canada, nonetheless!

    Can’t wait to see what the 2018 pool brings along!

    • Marcelle Mazzocato

      Claire, thanks for sharing this with us. Those who may be questioning if they should go on this adventure might feel more secure to make a decision after reading your comment. And yes, I’m one of those big fans of Canada. I really love your country and your people, I can’t say it enough but yeah, the world needs more Canada.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *